RECAP | Fight Toward Championship Continues in Scoreless Draw

Indy and Armada split points in midweek clash in Jacksonville.
Sep 27, 2017



by Ronnie Rodgers,

Neither the Jacksonville Armada FC (2W-4D-4L, 10 pts., 6th NASL Fall) nor Indy Eleven (2W-5D-5L,8 pts., 8th NASL Fall) were able to find the net Wednesday night at Hodges Stadium.

Both teams were desperate for points as the NASL Championship inches closer. Although scoring no goals, Jacksonville fired double the shots of Indy, 14 total, and held 62 percent of the possession all match.

“They were fantastic,” head coach Mark Lowry said. “There were some combinations there that were quite exciting.”

Tony Taylor and Ciarán Kilduff found the early opportunities for the Armada FC. Both of their attempts were blocked inside of the box though by Indy defense.

Kalen Ryden attempted an acrobatic shot off of a corner kick by Jack Blake in the 19th minute, but did not get enough power on it. Goalkeeper Jon Busch was easily able to save the ball.

J.C. Banks played a great game and won Man of the Match for his efforts. The forward found his first chance of the night in the 34th minute and kicked the ball from the left side of the field, but Busch was in the perfect position to knock away the attempt to leave Jacksonville scoreless.

Kilduff tried once more to put the Armada FC in the lead before halftime.

He received a long ball from Taylor and was within striking distance of the net. The forward launched a powerful ball, but it sailed just high of giving the home team the advantage. Both sides went into halftime knotted at zero.

Jacksonville came out of the break ready to take the lead. Derek Gebhard, a halftime sub-in, gave a spark off the bench as he ran dangerously close to the goal but was unable to get a successful shot.

Gebhard stole the ball in the 58th minute from an Indy defender and barreled toward the goal. The forward passed the ball to teammate Banks, who shot the most promising attempt of the night for the Armada FC. He launched the ball toward the net, but it connected with the woodwork instead and Busch was there to scoop up the resulting rebound.

“It was just a little too wide. I wanted to tuck it in the corner. [Busch is] a good ‘keeper, I wanted to miss him,” said Banks.

Indy Eleven found some drive in the second half, as they wanted the victory too. David Goldsmith was able to get inside the box and kicked a ball just over the crossbar in the 73rd minute.

The best opportunity for the visitors came two minutes later when Don Smart attempted a shot, but Patterson-Sewell was not willing to give them the lead and knocked it away.

The Armada FC was still putting pressure on Indy Eleven late in the game.

Kilduff was able to put a foot on a cross from Bryam Rebellón, but Busch was able to block the attempt again.

Meckack Jérôme stepped up for a free kick in stoppage time and Armada FC fans prepared for late match goal, but his shot went wide.

The final whistle blew, leaving both squads scoreless. Jacksonville climbed one spot in the Fall Season and combined standings ­– back into a potential postseason spot.

The Armada FC is now off to South Florida to face the Miami FC for the final meeting with the league-leaders of the Fall Season. Kickoff is scheduled for 6 p.m. on Sunday at Riccardo Silva Stadium. Fans can catch the action on CW17 in Jacksonville and Great38 in Tampa.




JAX (4-4-2): Patterson-Sewell, Rebellón, Jérôme, Pitchkolan, Ryden, Maripuu (Steinberger 56’), George, Blake, Steinberger, Banks (Johnson 84’), Taylor (Gebhard 45’), Kilduff


IND (4-2-3-1): Busch, France, Falvey, Miller, Vukovic, Ring (Henderson 85’), Torrado, Smart, Ubiparipovic (Goldsmith 64’), Speas (Junior 64’), Zayed







JAX: Geoge 21’

JAX: Kilduff 31’

IND: Smart 37’

JAX: Pitchkolan 37’

IND: Ring 68’